December 8, 2007

GDBD

We had snow on Wednesday. Not enough to shut down the federal government, which kind of baffles me, because I was under the impression that our nation's esteemed agencies here in DC pretty much collapse when it so much as flurries. But alas, not this time. Despite the fact that I've been a resident of the mid-Atlantic for more than five years now, I still get excited about that first snow. It's the wide-eyed California wonder in me, I guess. I've been dreaming of a white Christmas my entire life. Not gonna happen.

We went to Rooster's dad's law firm's holiday party last night. It was really more a schmoozing opportunity for the firm's employees and all their clients, so I was fairly bored, but Mr. K really wanted to show me off, so to speak. It was cute. I talked to this one lady who has apparently been a client of R's dad for a long long time, and they adore him to pieces because -- wait for it -- he saved their farm. I'm not even kidding. They have this property that's been in the family for 106 years and was threatened by development nearby. This dear old lady was telling me how much she trusts, respects, admires and adores Mr. K. It made me a little proud, in a strange way. They are good people, people love them. And soon I will be part of their family too.

I didn't anticipate the inevitable questions that everyone asks, immediately. When's the big day? etc. But there they are. I know people are just making polite conversation. A few wives asked to see the ring, and were totally confounded when I held up my hand and showed them the $5 dollar clear plastic toy ring I've been wearing. My actual ring had to be sent away for resizing, and because it's such an old piece it is taking a little longer than we'd hoped. So these ladies see the fake ring, which I think is funny, and they absolutely don't know what to say. Even when I tell them the story and that it's just a "placeholder" they still looked at me strangely. Oh well.

Today we're heading up to PA to visit an old friend for the day/night. She and her husband still have never met R. I was in their wedding, which was one of those gorgeous and huge pageants, and I'm sure they will have tons of advice for us about planning "the big day." Maybe I'll start calling it the BD for shorthand. I'm sort of freaking out about planning the god damn thing. The GDBD. I just want to have it all figured out for me, and I'll show up in a nice dress, cry, drink champagne, eat fabulous food with my friends and family, laugh, dance, and have some sex. Done!

No comments:

what about bob?

what about bob?

Blog Archive