I have been out of touch. Things are busy. Busy for everyone, I know.
I have written a few blahg entries but not posted them. They felt like they were trying too hard. Well, I WAS trying hard. I try to open the tap on my brain but all I ever get is foam.
There's a gloom in the air in this town; it mixes strangely with the gorgeous crisp fall weather we're having. Hitchcockian. There are Obama placards in windows and lawns -- like I said, we're a blue town -- but there is also a sort of quiet desperation in the eyes of the citizens. We are teetering on the edge. The rest of the nation...will it screw it all up AGAIN? To be so close and then possibly lose? It is a silent terror. We should be louder, I think, we should be outraged. I read somewhere that the Republicans cornered the market on outrage. The Dems are so tired, then. Their eyes ache from rolling. Their guts ache from disgust. They can hardly move their tongues to talk from the bad taste in their mouth leftover from Shrub.
They wonder if their houses are losing value. They take Metro and drive less. There are a lot of Smart Cars and Mini Coopers in my neighborhood. Gads of hybrids. And crumpled bags of McDonalds garbage on nearly every block, leftover from zoo tourists. I wonder how much garbage McDonald's is responsible for?
Don't let these thoughts fool you. I am the least politically minded I have ever been, I think. I am too complacent.
We talked with our housemate the other night. My brother-in-law. After several talks together and time to think on our own, Rooster and I decided there is no real reason to have D move out right now. A three-income household is a good thing. We take care of each other. God forbid he moves out and someone gets laid off (again). It could happen so easily, I see it all around. It was scary when it happened for us earlier this year -- it would be scarier now. So we will stay put, our little family, for a time. It is a unique experience anyway, a throwback to when families stuck together for stability. I would never have grown to know and love him quite the same if we hadn't shared a home this way. I treasure that.
September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
what about bob?
No comments:
Post a Comment