December 2, 2008

We used to drink on Tuesdays

Back when I was living in Hollywood, Polly and I would get together on Tuesdays after I got off work and go get into some kind of trouble. We didn't actively plan for it to be Tuesdays, and we saw plenty of each other throughout the week, but somehow Tuesdays stood out. Maybe because they were a particular demon and delight: attractive since they came around so quickly, yet deadly, for there was still the rest of the week to suffer through after we'd gone and done whatever it was we did. Often enough it was just a lingering dinner at out favorite Italian place, where we'd flirt with the waiters and have cocktails and delicate salads and huge bowls of spicy pasta and sambuca and cappuccino and whatever dessert they dropped off at our table on the house. Of course then we'd drive home, hands dangling cigarettes out the window, buzzing with food and booze and friendship. There were other escapades too, on Tuesdays, that involved other characters and substances and territory that I won't get into here.

I've been thinking a lot about Polly these days. And those years in L.A.




I submitted my grad school application, but my desire to get out of DC sort of outweighs my desire to pursue an advanced degree. It outweighs a lot of things, unfortunately.

I feel shitty about that.




I have been watching that HBO series about vampires. It's a totally soap opera, but I am addicted. And I've developed an unexpected partiality to the name "Sookie."

Go on, say it three times fast, I guarantee you'll be in love, too.

1 comment:

Allison Hatfield said...

we are nostalgic, sookie kaufman

what about bob?

what about bob?

Blog Archive