April 7, 2008

April showers



The forecast said rain all day Saturday, but it didn't. Instead it was that misleading dappled overcast sun that lures you into not wearing sunscreen. I just didn't think of it, a bad habit. So my face has a golden glow. It matches the insouciance I am trying to exude. All will be fine. Mantra.

Sister and I took the metro down to the Mall, dove into the river of tourists and swam through the cherry trees. The time with Sister was worth it. Though the pink and white trees are beautiful, they would be far more beautiful without a million people meandering beneath them. It is a sight to see, that 1912 gift from the Japanese. And we all know how Harry Truman said "thank you."

We ordered carry out from Lebanese Taverna and ate too much. Sister and I played cards. Rooster went to bed early but this time I made him take sleeping pills to assuage the insomnia he'd had for a week. He slept, mostly, at last. Sister says I bring out the ESP in her. We finish each other's sentences, even those not spoken aloud. Even our cycles matched up within hours of her arrival.

Sunday morning I put one of the last frozen trays of Sister Schubert's rolls in the oven, made a fruit salad and opened my presents. R drove us to my seamstress's apartment and waited in the car. She is a whiz with measurements. I loved the mock up and we made a few adjustments here and there to the length, the back, the neckline, sleeves. We'll buy the fabric this week. I can't wait to show you my favorite part. I feel my confidence in this bit of risk restored, I won't worry about it. I haven't really.

I am not worrying. I am all I love yous and You betchas. We are swaying in an uncertain wind but it will abate and then we will move forward. Life moves forward besides.

3 comments:

Poodle said...

it will be fine. absolutely. but i can't see that picture.

pb said...

a link to the pic instead : http://image48.webshots.com/49/7/10/11/2018710110058182077XADnyM_fs.jpg

of course i am about the "absolutely fine", also. i mean - isn't it just what we know, anyway... that it will be.
the you betcha i love you's make it so much more bearable.

thank you for that.

Unknown said...

i am missing those cherry blossoms, let me tell you. hi, it's snowing and below freezing here today. no blossoms of any kind in sight.

so glad your sister came for this timely visit.

what about bob?

what about bob?

Blog Archive